Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A while ago, many thoughts suddenly welled up in my mind. It's been a while since I last posted any entry of decent length. Yet, deep in my heart I am convinced that men's hearts are forgetful. One moment, I could be thinking about all the wonderful things, the next could be a flash bank in the mind- all gone.

For a year and a half now, I have been a follower of Christ. A year ago, I was still pretty satisfied with my new identity, sheltered under the coat termed an amateur Christian. It's a comfortable reference, something that did not have to undertake too much responsibility; something which seemingly always allow room for mistakes; even more so, a much easier relevance due to the similarity in the level of novelty- both of us were new!

On retrospect now that I have come a reasonable distance, having overcome the 1-year milestone, undertaking leadership position and actively involved in one thing or the other, my journey has been a vibrant one. Or at least, it seemed so to me. I always found joy in the triumph over the odds as a Christian- in the capacity to worship Him, to serve Him, to love Him, and even to witness for Him. It was a period of immense fire- that passion was burning so violently, but the fuel was being consumed very quickly too. "Take heart!" "Pace yourself." "If you wanna run fast, run yourself; if you wanna run far, run together." None of those were foreign concept, but it took time to realise them, and a little longer to comprehend them.

Like most new Christians, my walk suffered along the way. Idols of many kinds found its way into my life- work, games, rest, friends, money- each one of them effectively sucking away a part of my time for God; each one of them effectively diverting my attention away from Him bit by bit.

Thankfully, God is good. Each time I fell away, each time by grace He comes. Psalm 73: 23-24 "I will hold you by your right hand, I will lead you by My counsel, and afterwards I will take You into glory." He never let go, never did.

Recent weeks, I felt replenished, something different has been at work. The more I dwell in His presence, the stronger that feeling becomes. I dare not say I know full well, but Isaiah 42:16 promises "I will lead the blind by ways they have not seen, on unfamiliar paths I will guide them, I will turn the darkness into light in front of them, and I will make rough places smooth." Each day I look forward with anticipation of what God really has in store for us.
By faith, we have come. For faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment