Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Help Me to Help Others

Help Me to Help Others

Today kickstarts my weight loss program. 
I have been very vexed up for the past few weeks. How do you raise awareness, and even raise support for someone so invisible? Right now, I'm volunteering at Radion International, which in essence reaches out to a minority hilltribe- the Hmong people- in Khek Noi Phetchabun, Thailand. 
Needless to elaborate, few of my countrymen would have heard about this ethnic group, much less is aware of their needs, their situation, and their life struggles. 
Being rather heavily reliant on support from Singapore, that posted a huge challenge for me to surmount. How to make the Hmong people relevant? Once in a while, we could perhaps bring back a few rescue stories of the utmost intensity to spur a spike of interest or curiosity, and stir up emotional burdens, and "guilt-trip" people into wanting to do something for them- but frankly, that is not quite sustainable. 2 months down the road, people forget, and Hmong people quickly fades away into the distant memory. The same could even be said of some of who have gone on a personal trip up the mountains- returning to Singapore was a return to "reality".
So while I was exercising this morning, I suddenly had an eureka moment. If I can't draw direct relevance, surely I can do something about an indirect one. Hence, came forth this initiative: Help Me to Help Others. 

I embark on a weight loss program today, having recognized my own health problem. I'm slightly overweight at 76kg, and since 2 years back had been alarmed about my blood pressure being on the slight high side. Yet, I've been struggling to find the consistency to sustain a healthy lifestyle. So I couple the weight loss program with the fundraising, as a form of motivation and a greater cause to fight for. 
For every 1 kg shed, a committed donor will donate a dollar to the cause. That would add up to a maximum of 6SGD at the end of the year. What one loses is perhaps a cup of starbucks coffee, or a movie ticket; but what one gains is this: a healthier and perhaps more handsome friend, and of course a contribution to the much bigger cause in the form of an accommodation for the kids in the mountain. 
This way, I am a beneficiary myself, and people who care for me can take heart because if I manage to live that extra few years, it is because of your support. Also, the benefits would be mutual, because Radion becomes my motivation to do good for myself. Even if Hmong remains invisible, I become visible, and I become the representation and reminder of the Hmong people to my countrymen. 
Of course, I have many other possible pledging opportunities such as 1SGD for every 1km ran, 1 SGD for every 100 push-ups done, 1 SGD for every 500m swim etc. And of course, if anyone subscribes to the cause, he/she is also feel free to contact me at judan.koh@radion-international.org to pledge an one-off donation of sorts. 
Bring back to healthy me!
I will be providing a weekly report on my weight loss program.
Stay tune :)

22 October exercise program:
2km run
100 floors climb
150 push-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment