Monday, August 6, 2012

Empathizing the Escapees

This is dangerous, slightly. For a while I was under the protection in that season, not really. 
When one gets so drawn into one thing, I guess it's kinda difficult to withdraw. Much akin to drugs, getting out can be quite uncomfortable, sometimes even painful. 
Where I am now, I gaze upon the entire process. How I used to be annoyed by overboard persistence, how I think I became like that myself, and how I realized I had become like that. The perks of going through such- is probably empathy. At least for now, I could say that I know how it must have felt. 
Escapade mentalityI see many of such on television, and I'm probably very amazed how it maps over to reality. Addiction, computer games, drugs, gambling, anything that takes away the attention for that moment. It's momentary, which explains why people tend to overdose in hope of prolonging those moments. These moments seemingly provide the doors out, from problems, from life, from many things. Do we not know their temporal nature? Of course we do! Primary school teaches that, Secondary school cautions us against that, parent advises against that, the society even condemns that. It's an unfortunate trend that as one grows older, the measure becomes more "autocratic". Perhaps "desperate" would fit in better. Yet, as it seems, many continue to fall in the face of such preventive measures. Scholars study them well and come out with explanations, theories and perceivably 'solutions'. Statistics show that "blah blah blah~" and that endless pursuit of control reveals a pathetic void. Sometimes we just need the simplest of things- a hug, a smile, a simple "thank you", a kind advice, a word of encouragement, or even the sheer presence of someone whom matters. Life is not that complicated, but the world makes it so. Research has shown that smiling improves productivity/service. So it goes, and they continue to complicate things. The notion of hypocrisy- perhaps it all starts with the desire to make or replicate, instead of the "be". 
I am a bad victim myself. I thank God that I am no addict. I ever questioned why- why do I spend so much time on computer games when I don't think I'm finding joy of fulfillment in them. In fact sometimes I was even frustrated by it, and yet the time dedication were made. On deeper thoughts, I guess I probably was not trying to gain, but to lose. Unfortunately, many people overlook this before casting their votes of condemnation. "Why are you doing this?" "Why don't you blah blah blah~"  Judgment calls came and went, people tried to probe but was never really capable of going beyond the superficial. "Yea, yea, I have too much time and I just want to waste it away... (sarcasm)". Time continues to seep through my loosen grip, the to-do list continues to grow, and the need for escapade continues to soar. Irony, helplessness consumes many. 
Am I so weak that I have to be sucked into this? Perhaps, but just a few months/years back I was there too, looking at another helpless guy thinking why couldn't he...
John 8:32
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

No comments:

Post a Comment