Thursday, July 5, 2012

About Worship


I spent the morning watching both of Sister Act 1 and 2 and I thought them to be really good movies, from which I genuinely caught a glimpse of what it means to worship. In both films, each musical had seemed more like a performance, but I recognize that the performance element came from a complete devotion into the business! By complete devotion, I literally meant being 'lost' in the worship
It just takes a few "lalala~" to get us going!
Sometimes, I find it very difficult to grapple with the very conscious me about pride (when I feel slightly good) and other times when I become really conscious of how people are thinking about how we sing (looking at us worship, portraying the right image, giving the right rhythm, giving the right harmonization). But when we become lost in it, it becomes so natural, and the fear of pride just disappears. We ought to know better that we ought not to fear, and that fearlessness stands against pride as well. And I find it such a joy to be able to enjoy the 'performance'. Many people told me we are singing for God when we worship, but I think we are singing for many people- and God is the Guest of Honor! I just feel that very often, I become so conscious of the 'need' to focus on God, and the 'need' to not care about how people see me, that in trying to focus, I became distracted; in trying to be devoted, I became preoccupied. 

I just feel that it's fine to look at the audience, to smile at the audience, and to even interact with the audience. Like what you told me the other time that by admitting that we are good is not pride, because we know that God gives them to us- If people say we can sing, we reply thank you and continue singing. Likewise, when we look at people and have interaction (be it verbal exchange or eye contacts), we are not distracted from worship, but we are soaked in the community of worship, being embraced in the atmosphere created only by the gathering of worshippers engaging in the same activities single-mindedly. I like the part when Mary Roberts came out to harmonize with another nun, and she smiled at her: 2:21.


God's child,
Judah

No comments:

Post a Comment