Thursday, March 26, 2015

Yes, I am a First Generation Christian

"You must be a first generation Christian."
"Why do you say so?"
"Because normally, the first-generation Christians are the ones who are super passionate about their faith." "The second generation Christians are more cautious in their approach, and you may even label them as more laid-back."

Unfortunate. This is largely unfounded, and there are two major flaws to such a remark. Firstly, it normalises laid-backness; secondly, it creates a false ceiling, which in turn builds a false pattern. Lies~

Countless counts of biblical verses instruct the elders to teach and guide the youngsters, equipping them with the essential love, fear and knowledge of the Lord such that they do not turn to the left or right when they grow up. There is an inherent responsibility in becoming a Christian, one that goes beyond the self, one that goes beyond my generation. It is one that promotes the continuation and growth of the faith, inter generation and across generations.
We stand on the shoulder of spiritual giants down historical tracks, with their ceilings as our floor, as we receive our due portion and as God continues to reveal to the world the things of God. 

Therefore, the grief that comes along with every lost individual pains intensely. I look at youngsters who grow up in churches, and as they make the subsequent decision to call it quits- I have enough of church, I have enough of christians, I have enough of this faith that I can neither see nor feel, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF JESUS. 

Then it made me wonder. How have we been doing church, and if we have been doing it right. OUCH! 
It is then that the wisdom in the bible began to make sense. If you are neither hot not cold, I'll spit you out of my mouth. But why? If hot is the ideal, shouldn't lukewarm be at least slightly better than if there is a complete absence of heat? Yet, scripture says, He will spit the lukewarm out of His mouth. 
Apathy creates a false sense of alrightness. I don't commit major sin, so I'm a decent guy. Mission trips or ministries or anything that requires more than what is convenient is not for me. I'm just happy to be in the pew (when my schedule allows), and of course I'd embrace the Christian label. Of course, I believe in Jesus. Convenient Christians are fans more than followers, and fanfare is self-explanatory when it comes to the issue of commitment, dedication, sacrifices and counting of cost. 
Laid-blackness is not ok! It is not and should not be normal. Christianity isn't just about teaching you to be good. It is life transforming, community-changing, aspiration-inspiring. It embodies the notions of grace, mercy, love and faith. Take that! It's a real encounter with God that goes beyond the intellect, beyond imagination, beyond a rigid practice of religious law. It is an encounter with Christ. And older believers should always ensure the preservation of this aspect! If all these become real of our pursuit, our approach would have changed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment