Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Letter to My Future Self


To my future self.

Hey Judah, I think we can forget about the formalities ya. If you are still the same, I think I know you well enough. But then again, I can't be sure. You are too volatile, too unpredictable, too hard to guess... So in those ten years, I really have no idea how much you've changed.

3 or 4 day back, I wrote a letter to our 13 year old self, and that'd make him 20 years your junior. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now because for me, looking at the younger self makes me.... Wonder where all those years and months have gone to. Give that letter a read too, and remind yourself of your own salvation story :)!

You are older, probably wiser, and definitely more experienced, so I don't have much to inform you about. You probably already know them all. But one thing I want to ask, nevertheless... How has your walk with God been? I hope that made you think, regardless of whether you are thriving, give it a thought... It's only beneficial, that I'm certain... Very certain indeed.

It feels funny writing to an unknown. Writing with a hindsight makes me feel smarter than I truly am, and writing without foresight gives a totally opposite feel. Many of which are my assumptions, but even more are my convictions... About you, about our future, about God's plan for us. So instead of a daunting unknown, I'm excited for you!

I wonder how far you've moved into your call. Remember (that shall remain between us, you know what I'm talking about)?

10 years on, you'll be 33. One of my biggest questions would be if you are still in the navy? If you are... You'd probably be a Major by then, and close enough to take command of a small ship already? Wow!!! If not, you probably would have gone into full time, in some rural village doing some amazing adventures huh? That sounds awesome too!!!

My future sounds so fun wherever that might be and whatever God has called me to do. Oh, how's Marni and Nargesh? They should be in their teenage by now! I hope they have both grown into Godly youths after God's heart!!!

Apart from those, I reject any alternatives that are not better. I don't need us to enjoy and be comfortable, but I want us to be purposeful and fruitful. So I hope you are still the same where you are. Don't blame me for working in that direction. For the foreseeable future, I'm gonna be intentional to shut some doors and open up others, in accordance to that principle in life. Don't blame me, don't hate me. So if life is hard right now, press on... While I am still strong enough, and not yet sucked into disillusion, I declare protection and favor upon you (me). You will be fine!!! Remember this? I'm still telling all my friends that, so if you have already forgotten, I'm telling you (myself) that too! YOU'LL BE FINE!!!

Even if it doesn't turn out as declared, please continue to believe ya. :)

Another exciting thing that I've kept for the last, and probably the most burning question I have... How's Mrs Judah? I think you should have at least met her by now, woohoo!!! This is fun! And how about little Judahs? Haha, where I am right now, I think Mrs Judah must be as excited as I am... Send my regards to her ya. I don't pray for her all the time, but I do pray for her, and somewhere within I kinda knew that I love her already :D. Don't be jealous ah, because I am you!!!

Please be a good husband and a good father!! That's what I've aspired to be and that passage in Joshua, continue to live that out and lead our family in that ya (as for me and my household we will serve The Lord)!!! Send my regards to our kids too! Maybe I should write one letter to your future, the 43-year old me. That'd be so spooky in a good way! Imagine our 23 year old father writing to our 15 year old self!!! Haha!

Until I become you, I just want to encourage you!!! You are definitely a better person than me, a more loving, more Godly, less angry, less offensive, wiser friend, son, brother, minister, officer than I am currently. And those areas that i might be struggling with right now, by your time, they shall all be gone and better managed! I will spend the next ten years to ensure that, so if I ever become disillusioned by your time, don't be too harsh on yourself k! Just remember, and pick ourselves up! We will be fine!!!

Have a good life Judah!
Looking forward, very earnestly!!!

Judah Fabriano Cole!
(Your 23-year old self)

No comments:

Post a Comment